Saturday, May 5, 2012

Healthy Pot Noodle

I recently bought the book "River Cottage Veg Everyday" by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and already it has taken pride of place in my cookbook collection. I fully admit to being a meat lover, I like nothing better than a big juicy steak or a plate of lamb chops to up my protein and energy levels but after seeing all the lovely recipes in this book I can see how people survive without meat. I won't be turning vegetarian anytime soon but I have loved the recipes I have tried.

This is a gorgeous quick & fresh lunch dish that I amended slightly to suit my tastes, that is the great thing about being confident in the kitchen, anything goes!

To serve two people you will need;

2 nests of quick cook noodles, I used Sharwoods fine egg noodles
1 vegetable stock jelly
1 carrot peeled and then sliced very finely
12 sugar snap peas, finely sliced
4 scallions, finely sliced
6 baby corn cobs, finely sliced
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1 tsp of curry powder
4 tsp soy sauce
Juice of 1 lime

Put the noodles, carrot, sugarsnaps, corn, chilli, ginger and scallions into a pot. I used two small kilner jars, which worked out perfect.
Place stock jelly and curry powder in a jug and pour on 3/4 pint of boiling water. Stir well and pour straight on top of the noodle mix. Cover and leave for 8 - 10 minutes stirring once or twice.
Add the lime juice and soy sauce and serve immediately.

What a great little dish to throw together in minutes. My boys are big fans of any noodle dishes and they devoured these little pots of goodness. I am always droning on about the benefits of feeding your children healthy meals and plenty of fruits and vegetables but that's our job as parents. The children are rarely sick and I put a lot of that down to their diet. No better children to devour a packet of sweets in minutes but I don't mind that as long as they getting their vitamins and minerals through their meals I know I doing a good job!

Thanks for reading & happy cooking! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment