Monday, November 14, 2011

Swirly Lemon Curd and Chocolate Buns



I have been meaning to make these buns since @donalskehan posted a version on his blog a number of months ago. Sweet dough flattened and spread with a filling of your choice before rolling, slicing, baking and eating. The original version uses a cinnamon butter as a filling but amazingly one of my friends doesn't like cinnamon so I had a look in my cupboard and came up with a lemon curd and chopped dark chocolate filling which was luscious and sinful. I love lemon curd and dark chocolate so this was a win win combination for me and my friend!

Ingredients

200ml milk
2oz butter
7g dried yeast
2oz sugar
375g cream flour
pinch of salt
4 tbsp brown sugar
1 egg beaten

For the filling;
100g lemon curd
100g dark chocolate, chopped

Method

Melt the butter over a low heat before adding the milk
When this is lukewarm remove from the heat and add the yeast, the 2oz of sugar and salt
Slowly add the flour until the mixture forms a dough, turn onto floured surface and knead for 3 minutes
Leave to rise in a greased bowl, covered, for 45 minutes
When dough has risen roll out into a rectangular shape
Spread the lemon curd on top and sprinkle over the chocolate

From the long side roll the dough to form a swiss roll shape before slicing into 12 pieces.
Place in muffin cases, brush tops with beaten egg and sprinkle over the brown sugar
Bake in a preheated 220 degree oven for 10 minutes or until they are golden on top
Leave to cool on wire racks

These delightful buns are best eaten on the day they are made but if you do have any leftover just give them a quick reheat in the microwave for a couple of seconds to freshen up the dough before enjoying with a nice cup of coffee and sharing with friends.

4 comments:

  1. I love that combination Paula. They look fantastic! I must try them some time, perfect with a cuppa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so mouthwatering, I've made the cinnamon ones, now I'll have to make these!
    Nicola :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a variation of these buns from one of Nigella's books. They're amazing, absolutely addictive. Love your photo too - I'm trying to take a sneaky peak at your cook books too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love lemon curd and chocolate and sweet dough buns so a winning combination for me! I think I wil have to give them a go! Lovely pic too!

    ReplyDelete