Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A New Arrival!


One husband, three children and one dog make for a very busy Ryan household. I thought there wasn't any more room in the house or love in my heart for a new arrival but I was actually wrong. Monday afternoon I was delighted to receive the newest addition to the clan, Mrs Kenwood Premier Chef! I have been thinking about one of these babies for months and am now thrilled that I have one on proud view in my kitchen.

 
My brother was on a flying visit from the Netherlands this week and I wanted to make a nice big pavlova to serve after a nice family dinner. @likemamuse2bake provided me with an excellent recipe which guaranteed a marshmallow interior and a crisp exterior, exactly what a pavlova should be! I whizzed it up in my kenwood in less than ten minutes which was a vast improvement on my usual method.

 
Ingredients for base
  • 5 egg whites
  • 7oz caster sugar
  • 1tsp vinegar
  • 2tsp cornflour

Preheat oven to 150 degrees
Line a baking tray with parchment
Whisk the egg whites till soft peaks form
Add sugar a spoonful at a time while whisking until stiff and glossy
Fold in cornflour and vinegar gently
Spoon onto tray into a rectangular shape or however you desire
Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until it lifts away from parchment
Cool in oven

 
Just before dinner was ready I whisked 250ml of cream to which I had added 2tbsp of hazelnut flavoured Baileys. I spread this over the cooled meringue base and then scattered over 100g of toasted mixed chopped nuts and 50g of dark grated chocolate. I loved the different textures and the crunch of the nuts against the smoothness of the cream was delicious. This will definitely be making an appearance on the Ryan Christmas table this year and was a fitting way to christen the newest arrival!

3 comments:

  1. My Chef is my baby. Probably one of the first things I'd grab from a burning building!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only have it 3 days and don't know how I survived without it Aoife!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LET ME JUST SAY,THAT WAS THE TASTIEST PAVLOVA THAT HAS EVER PASSED MY LIPS ,THE MARSHMALLOWISHNESS,THE COMBINATION OF NUTS AND THE DELICATE FLAKE FINISH,DELIGHTFUL.A LOVELY EVENING SPENT WITH FAMILY,WHO COULD ASK FOR MORE,IN FACT I DID AND HAD A SECOND HELPING OF PAVLOVA,THANKS SIS XXX

    ReplyDelete