Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Humble Scone!


To me a scone is like a bowl of cornflakes, I forget how nice they are until I taste them. When I started baking a few years ago I made these so often I can almost make them in my sleep! I sometimes like to add dried fruit to them which has been presoaked in orange juice to plump them up but the eight year old requested plain ones so how could I not fulfil his wishes! After a week of dull grey days a bit of comfort was required along with a nice pot of fresh coffee so I made these little beauties! So little effort but such a lovely reward of buttery, sugary goodness.

 
Ingredients

 
  • 250g self raising flour
  • 120g butter
  • 5 tbsp milk
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 eggs
  • Pinch of salt

 
Method

 
Rub the butter into the flour and baking powder until it resembles breadcrumbs.
Make a well in middle and add in salt, milk and beaten eggs.
Mix to form a dry dough. Add more milk if required.
Turn onto floured surface and roll out. Use a small glass to cut out approximately 15 scones.
Brush scones with milk and dip into some cinnamon sugar. I make this by combining 2 tbsp of caster sugar with a sprinkling of ground cinnamon and combine in a pestle and mortar.
Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees for 10 - 15 minutes until golden.
Cool on a wire rack.
Eat with lashings of butter, jam, honey, cream or whatever takes your fancy!
Simples!

2 comments:

  1. mmmm you're giving me the munchies Paula!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only made scones twice and the first time it was disaster. The recipe had errors and I end up with more stones than scones. But gladly second time it was much better. Next time I will try your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete