Monday, March 7, 2011

Mammy Knows Best!!

When i was a child i always remember my mothers baking.  There were no fancy cakes or meringues but solid home cooking probably like the majority of other homes.  Apple tarts, fairy buns, fruit scones, victoria sponges, fruit soda bread were all regulars on the menu and of course the irish mammy special, brown bread!  My kids love buns and i have tried countless recipes but i always come back to my mams recipe because it is so easy and quick and only uses four ingredients, five if you want the chocolate version which is compulsory with my sons and husband! This is exactly the recipe you need if you dont want to go shopping specifically for ingredients as they are all store cupboard favourites.

Easy Chocolate Muffins (makes 18)

8 oz margarine
8 oz caster sugar
4 eggs
10 oz self raising flour
1 oz cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 180c.
Cream the margarine and sugar together then add one egg at a time and mix. 
Sieve flour and cocoa powder and mix lightly into wet mixture.
Spoon into muffin cases and bake in oven for 15/20 mins till skewer comes out clean.
Eat!



1 comment:

  1. Your mum sounds just like my mum! Except without the brown bread, as my mum didn't *do* yeast. Her pastry was to die for as was her Christmas cake, I miss my mum's baking!

    Muffins look tasty :)

    ReplyDelete